Alberta health officials say an E. coli outbreak in the province that likely killed one person and sickened 41 others is over.
The bacteria was linked to some pork products sold and distributed by The Meat Shop at Pine Haven, south of Edmonton.
Thirteen people became so ill from the E. coli O157:H7 that they required hospital care.
Alberta health officials and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency began investigating in late March.
The outbreak sparked a recall of pork products sold and distributed by The Meat Shop.
Dr. Jasmine Hasselback, medical officer of health, says while this outbreak is considered over, there is still the possibility there may be additional cases confirmed in the coming weeks.
“Our thoughts remain with the family of the patient who died and all of those affected by this,” Hasselback said Friday in a release.
Alberta Health Services says people should check their freezers to ensure they don’t still have products affected by the recalls.
E. coli infections are generally caused when a person eats food or drinks water that is contaminated with human or animal feces, or through direct contact with a person who is sick or with animals that carry the bacteria.
Symptoms can include bloody diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and kidney failure.